- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb uncooked chicken breast, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, rinsed very well until water runs clear (see notes 1 and 2 for important tips)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sliced green onion (optional)
- hot sauce, sriracha pairs well (optional)
- Turn on the Sauté function on the Instant Pot. Warm 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil, then add the whisked eggs. Push the eggs around with a spatula to scramble them until fully cooked. Transfer the eggs to a plate and set aside. It’s okay if there’s a bit of egg stuck to the bottom of the insert.
- Heat another teaspoon of vegetable oil in the insert and add the minced garlic. Sauté the garlic until fragrant (about a minute), stirring frequently. Turn off the Sauté function, then pour in a small amount of chicken broth and use a spatula to scrape up every last bit of food stuck to the bottom of the insert. This is important to avoid a burn warning.
- Pour in the remaining broth, then add the diced chicken, diced carrots and rice (in this order). Push the rice down to be just submerged in the broth, but do not stir.
- Close and seal the lid and cook on Manual high pressure for 3 minutes, with the keep warming setting off. At the end of cooking time, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid, then add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir until the rice is well coated. Add the peas and reserved scrambled egg and continue to mix until well combined. Set the lid askew on the pot for a minute or two to let the peas and egg to warm through. Serve immediately with your chosen garnish or divide among 4 storage containers for meal prep. Eat within 4 days.
Calories: 489kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 154mg | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 770mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5637IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg